[Zope-DB] Severe Postgres problems

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:08:47 +0100

We observe the following severe problem with PostgreSQL 7.2.1:

   SQL selects return non-deterministically an empty result
   set (while we know, the correct result set is non-empty).

   My colleague did some Google search and found out that
   this is a problem observed by several PostgreSQL users.
   In some error situations (when many "operations ignored until
   transaction reset" appear in the PostgreSQL log file),
   Postgres forgets to set
   correct error information. Requests seem to succeed
   with 0 rows affected instead of an error indication.

   Apparently, the problem is related to the duration Postgres
   is running. After a restart, the problem occurs only rarely.
   Later, the occurrence frequency increases and
   can finally be quite high.

We will soon switch to PostgreSQL 7.3.1 and hope the problem
is solved there. I will keep you informed.

Does anybody already have experience with PostgresSQL 7.3.1
and especially "psycopg" and this postgres version?

Dieter