[Zope-DB] instant DB access

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:25:44 -0400

On 24 Jul 2003 14:03:38 -0500
Michael Teter <mteter@1scom.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Warning, this may sound whiny.

Yep...

> Zope seems like a great, well thought-out product.  But why, after it
> existing so long, is it still a chore to figure out and setup database
> access for it?
>
> For example, I want Zope to run on Linux and access my existing
> PostgreSQL database.  From what I've read, to make that happen I'll
> have to download the source version of PostgreSQL, in addition to some
> 3rd party tools or libraries.

You really do not need the source of PostgreSQL.  You need only two
header files.  Unfortunately, one of the header files is not provided in
the Red Hat -dev RPM  (as it should be).

Well, first of all, it is not all that hard.  Pretty much every adapter
has well documented installation procedures, even to the extent of
working around particular distribution bugs.

Second, there are many, many adapters.  There are almost certainly more
than 50 listed zope.org alone.  To anoint some database adapters as
official is an act that is dangerously political for an open source
system.

Third, which zope are you running, the one from zope.org, or the one
from your distribution?  Most distributions will have one or more
PostgreSQL DA's available these days.

Jim Penny