[Zope-DB] ZSQL parallelism problem

Kent Hoxsey khoxsey@earthlink.net
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:26:36 -0700 (GMT)

I'm using Zope 2.6.1 to encapsulate a bunch of sql scripts my
group uses for ad-hoc queries. It's really sweet, and simplifies
a lot of my support issues for them.

But I've noticed a performance issue, and have run out of ideas
to try to fix it.  Basically, my Zope setup can only run two ZSQL
queries at a time, and as soon as I start a second one, the
whole instance stops serving new requests until one of the ZSQL
queries finishes.

These are long-running queries (a couple minutes at least), so
it's not useful to have the server unavailable. While the sql
is executing, the Zope server is basically asleep, so there are
no loading problems. It seems like something is blocking that
keeps Zope from doing any useful work.

The setup:
Win2k
Zope 2.6.1
Python 2.1.3
Oracle 9i client libraries

Options I've tried:
More Zope threads - 20 (-t option on startup)
More ZODB threads - 20 (changed source code)
ZODBC DA
DCOracle2 DA
mxODBC and DA from egenix (even with multiple connections open)

Clearly, the server, database, and all intervening software are
capable, I just can't get them configured correctly. Anybody
have any ideas?

Thanks.
Kent