[Zope-DB] ANN: eGenix mxODBC Zope Database Adapter, Version 1.0.5
Fri, 09 May 2003 21:32:15 +0200
mxODBC Zope Database Adapter
Available for Zope 2.3 - 2.6 on
Windows, Linux and Solaris
The eGenix mxODBC Zope Database Adapter (Zope DA) allows you to easily
connect your Zope installation to just about any database backend on
the market today, giving you the reliability of the commercially
supported eGenix.com product mxODBC and the flexibility of the ODBC
standard as middle-tier architecture.
Unlike Zope's ZODBC Zope DA, the mxODBC Zope DA works on Windows
XP/NT/2000/98/95, Linux and Solaris using the same interface on all
The mxODBC Zope DA implements thread-safe connection pooling and
multiple physical connects per logical Zope connection. You can safely
run Z SQL Methods in parallel, achieving a much better performance
than ZODBC Zope DA or similar Zope database adapters under heavy load.
This makes it ideal for deployment in Zope Clusters and Zope hosting
environments where stability and high performance are a top priority.
* Zope Level 3 Database Adapter: the mxODBC Zope DA is fully
multi-threaded and can handle multiple connections to multiple
* Fully compatible to Z SQL Methods.
* Drop-in compatible to the ZODBC DA: the mxODBC Zope DA provides the
same interfaces as Zope's ZODBC DA to allow a smooth upgrade path
from this simplistic adapater to the high performance mxODBC Zope
* Fully compatible to the Znolk SQL Wizard Product and other similar
products relying on the common database schema access methods
.tables() and .columns().
* Connection Pooling: physical database connections are pooled and
kept open, to reduce the connection overhead to a minimum. This is
especially important for high latency database connections and ones
like Oracle which take a considerable amount of time to setup
* Parallel Execution of Queries on a single logical connection: the
mxODBC Zope DA can manage any number of physical connections on a
single logical connection. This enables running truly parallel Z SQL
Method queries -- a feature not available in other Zope DAs.
* Robust Mode of Operation: connections which have timed out or go
away due to network problems are automatically reconnected.
* Cross-platform Connection Objects: The Zope DA will automatically
choose the right platform specific ODBC manager for you.
* Per Connection Adjustable ODBC Interface: mxODBC comes with many
different subpackages to choose from on Unix. The Zope DA allows you
to select these subpackages on a per-connection basis.
* Per Connection Error Handling: you can tell each connection whether
it should report ODBC warnings or not; furthermore all warnings and
errors are made available as list .messages on the DatabaseConnection
* Transaction safe automatic reconnect: when the DA finds that a
connection has timed out, it automatically tries a reconnect
and replays the transaction on the connection (unlike other DAs
which break the transaction scheme by doing a reconnect without
* Built-in Schema Cache: this results in improved performance under
* Database Schema Access: all ODBC catalog methods are made available
for much better database schema inquiry. The catalog methods allow
building generic database interrogation or manipulation tools and
facilitates writing database independent Zope products.
* Lazy Connect: the mxODBC Zope DA only connects to the database
backends when a connection is actually requested. This results in a
better use of resources compared to other Zope DAs.
Version 1.0.5 introduces the following new features compared to
* Support for multi-statement queries. Z SQL Methods allow multiple
statements in a single query via the <dtml-var sql_delimiter>
feature. mxODBC Zope DA 1.0.5 now supports this feature as well.
* Lazy Connect: mxODBC Zope DA 1.0.5 only reconnects mxODBC Connection
objects if Zope requests a connection object. This results in better
use of available resources. Other Zope DAs tend to always reconnect
when loading the connection objects into memory, e.g. when loading
the folder containing the connection object, even though the
connection is not really used for anything.
In short: mxODBC Zope DA is continuing to become the number one
solution for integrating relational databases with Zope applications.
If you have already bought mxODBC Zope DA licenses, you can use these
license for the updated version as well. There is no need to buy new
licenses. The same is true for evaluation license users.
For more information on the mxODBC Zope DA, licensing and download
instructions, please visit our web-site:
Professional Python Software directly from the Source (#1, May 09 2003)
>>> Python/Zope Products & Consulting ... http://www.egenix.com/
>>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ... http://python.egenix.com/
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium: 46 days left