[Zope-DB] Re: Zope-DCOracle2 vs Tomcat-JDBC performance

Umberto Nicoletti unicoletti@prometeo.it
Tue, 27 May 2003 17:15:15 +0200

Hi Matthew,
good to hear from somebody...

Matthew T. Kromer wrote:
> Umberto Nicoletti wrote:
>
>> OK, we'll try that that asap.
>>
>> Still this does not explain the perfomance gain when using query caching.
>> We ran the same test with query caching (settings: max 2000, cache
>> 100, time 60) turned on and got MUCH better results ( only 7 times
>> slower than Tomcat and average response time under 1 sec).
>> I would believe that those security check would be done also with
>> cached results...
>>
>> Regards,
>> umberto
>>
>> Matthew T. Kromer wrote:

>>> As Dieter pointed out, this is probably the security mechanim doing a
>>> linearly increasing cost to check each result you want to display in
>>> your ZPT.
>>>
>>> The "easiest" thing to do to effect a speedup is to put the
>>> per-result-row renderer into an external method -- call it with your
>>> query results, and let it format the HTML to be placed back into your
>>> ZPT page.  This isn't necessarily elegant, but ought to do the job
>>> for you.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, if you have tight control over your environment, you
>>> CAN look at replacing the Zope Security Manager with one with checks
>>> more optimized for your environment.  This isn't a trivial task, but
>>> it can be done.
>>>

> Well, there are ways to trace DCOracle2's timing -- so you can look for
> places where DCOracle2 is causing slowdowns.

That's cool. Should I use the profiler to do this?

> However, the larger issue may simply be how many application threads you
> have running, and how many database threads in Zope are configured.
>
> It could be the case that by default you are launching 4 threads, and
> each thread is entering Oracle and blocking -- and that you don't have
> enough worker threads to continue to do work.
>
> Try using the -t option to Zope's start to increase the number of
> threads by a small amount (say, -t 8).

Be there, done that.
at this url you can find some more results about Zope performance with a
variety of configurations. None of them showed any appreciable improvement.
http://www.zope.it/Members/mxaos/zopetom/talkback/1053942317/discussionitem_view

Unfortunately the post is in Italian, but please look at the numbers at
the bottom, they should be rather self-explanatory. If you have ANY
problem in understanding that please email me, and i'll fix it.
This is top priority for me now.

We tried other configurations with smaller values of t and pool_size
with no luck.

> Note that Zope's security policy is still going to check access to every
> element returned by a database adapter, whether or not it is cached.

That's what I supposed and Dieter confirmed.

Thanks to all of you helping me out...
Umberto