[Zope-DB] SQL Oracle and Drop Down Boxes

Dieter Fischer dieter.fischer at grid-it.ch
Wed Nov 12 18:20:25 EST 2003

> I am new to Zope and Python and Web Development really.  I am
> trying to do
> something I am sure must be very simple.  I want to query an
> Oracle database
> table using SQL and populate a drop down box with the
> returned values.  Can
> anybody point me in the direction of a simple example?

Hello Rob

I'm using for that the formulator product:

http://zope.org/Members/infrae/Formulator

Having an SQL-Method 'countries_sql' like this:

<code>
SELECT	code	AS code,
		text	AS text
FROM		code
WHERE		domain	= 'COUNTRY'
</code>

which is called by a python script 'countries_py':

<code>
result = []
for sql in container.countries_sql():
    tuple = sql['code'], sql['text']
    result.append(tuple)

return result
</code>

you can call this in the form TALES/Items with:

<code>
python:field.countries_py()
</code>

Works fine and is resusable.