Saga continues ([Zope-DB] DCOracle2: close connection doesn't)

Matthew T. Kromer matt at zope.com
Mon Oct 27 13:17:40 EST 2003

Chris Withers wrote:

> Jim Abramson wrote:
>
>>> - leaking of Oracle connections/sockets. This seems to be fixed by
>>> emptying the ZODB cache, which feels a lot like a
>>> Zope/ZOracleDA/DCOracle2 bug to me.
>>>
>>> - inability to reconnect when the server goes away under certain
>>> circumstances. The ORA-01012: not logged in and ORA-03114: not
>>> connected to ORACLE errors. IIRC, Matt K said there was code that
>>> should re-connect in circumstances such as there. It doesn't appear
>>> to be currently working...
>>>

>> I've definitely seen both of these, increasingly as of late (just as
>> my apps are getting increasing traffic). I've been kicking zope, or
>> wiggling the connection objects, to make things right again. I don't
>> expect that approach to scale much further...and my DBAs are already
>> bugging me about the connection-proliferation issue.
>

> Try clearing the ZODB cache (see the Zope Control Panel). What effect
> does this have?
>
>> If this is a general gripe session, I'd bring up the painful problem
>> of not being
>> able to pass a date to a dco2 sp in zope.
>

> A dco2 what?

He meant a DCOracle2 Stored Procedure.   The SP object needs to sniff
its inputs and see if it gets a ZopeTime and convert that into an
OracleDate object.  I think it does the reverse OK, but I dont think it
sniffs arguments in the forward direction.

Some of this is pure obtuseness on my part; the C layer has a simple
notion of what an Oracle Date looks like (it is a 7 byte value mostly
stored in a biased base-100 notation).  The C layer doesn't want to know
about other peoples Date/Time objects, but the ZOracleDA layer is pretty
dumb about argument conversion.

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/