R: R: [Zope-DB] ZODBCDA for Python 2.3.3

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 03:47:51 EST 2004

Hi Chris,

Chris Withers wrote:
>> - If the existing ZC driver could be picked up and updated, how much
>> would that cost, and what factors would distinguish it from the eGenix
>> product?
>
> Well, it would be totally open source for starters. If someone could
> round up a bug report (exception types, values and tracebacks), point me
> at where I can download the source code and how I can reproduce the bug,
> I'll happilly give them a quote offline, and I'd even make this nice and
> low provided I get to release the fixed product and claim all the kduos
> for it ;-)

I actually meant what would the /technical/ differentiators. I don't
think we're discussing competing with eGenix, and I certainly don't see
that as an issue - what is needed is simply a good, sturdy, minimal,
entry-point (which is my perception of the ZC product).

Is the source code available? It wasn't last time I investigated
this...if it's no longer supported, then perhaps ZC would release it.
Anyone from ZC reading this could help us out by looking into that...

Re. Kudos - deal!

>> - If there are other people who would like to chip in to keep this
>> functionality open-source, how do we round them up and extract money
>> from them?
>
> Well, maybe someone like you could look at doing that, and then handing
> the collected funds to whoever does the work?

Well, I'd very much like to do that - I'd like to contribute more than
advocacy to Zope, and I've not got money coming out of my ears right
now, but that I /can/ do.

Cheers,

PhilK