[Zope-DB] Problems with transaction management and many database adapters

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Feb 3 04:55:26 EST 2004

Marco Bizzarri wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I think we have found some problem in the management of the transactions
> with databases. The problem show both with  zpsycopg (1.1.10), zpopy
> (2.0.8) and zmysqlda (2.0.8)
>
> You can test the problem importing the attached zexp. It has a psycopg
> connection to a db (named PAFlow), and a SQL Method which queries a
> table called entita. The problem is not in the nature of the sql, but
> how the sql method is called:
>
> we have a page template (index_html) which calls a dtml
> (standard_html_header) which calls a page template (menu_html) which
> calls the SQL method.
>
> Look at the log of your postgres/mysql db: there are two transactions:
> the first one correctly finishes, the second one remains open and idle.
> If you visit again the page, there is an abort in your log, a new
> transaction which closes correctly, and another transaction which
> remains open.
>
> Any suggestion about this problem?

If "abort" means that the transaction in the database is rolled back,
then I don't see any problem: transactions are usually created
implicitly, ie. if you commit or rollback a transaction, the database
automatically starts a new one which, of course, remains open until
the next request comes in.

Now, some DAs may continue using the already opened transactions
or start a new one by forcing a rollback or a reconnect. Others,
like the mxODBC Zope DA, may not because, it's really unnecessary.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 02 2004)