[Zope-DB] SQL Update statements crashing Zope

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jan 20 11:51:29 EST 2004

Tim Edwards wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are having a serious problem with one of our Zope/Plone applications
> where an SQL Update statement seems to freeze the whole Zope instance. We
> have to stop the service and restart it. We are running Zope 2.6.2 on
> Windows 2000 connecting to an MS SQL 2000 server. We have tried both mxODBC
> and ZODBC and both have the same issue.
>
> The problem only occurs when the application makes an update statement -
> inserts, deletes and selects are fine. The problem seems to be that the
> update locks the table in the database (trying to open it using SQL Server
> Enterprise Manager gets a blank resultset) and never releases it. This
> problem occurs on all update statements in the application. Typing the
> update SQL manually into a ZSQL method seems to work fine.

Sounds like a bug in MS SQL Server or the MS ODBC driver. Locks
should always get released when a transaction finishes.

Another possibility is a dead lock situation caused by e.g.
a trigger or the update doing a sub-select. In that case,
the database should timeout after a while and present the
error to the application.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 20 2004)