[Zope-DB] Re: Oracle & Zope

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 05:42:35 EDT 2004

> I'd be very interested to hear views on the above, particularly from Matt,
> the
> eGenix guys and the cxOracle maintainers if anyone knows how to contact
> them...

I presume, that Matt is me? :)  I don't know the Oracle code at all very
well.  I have installed DCOracle2 a few times in the past, but I don't
know the specifics of it.  All I do know is that the ability to connect to
Oracle is a very big checkbox on the list of 'is Plone good for my
enterprise'.  If we were to lose it, there would be a lot of people put
off.  The project I am working on now, requires connection to Oracle, but
we haven't got that far yet.  I was thinking of just using DCOracle2, but
then I didn't know of any alternative plans.

If the other Oracle libs you mention have a python binding (I think one
does doesn't it) then it should be fairly trivial to write the Zope DA.  I
think the DCOracle2 problems were mainly to do with the actual C interface
right? (and its impact on threading).

-Matt

Matt Hamilton                                         matth at netsight.co.uk
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.          Business Vision on the Internet
http://www.netsight.co.uk                               +44 (0)117 9090901
Web Design | Zope/Plone Development and Consulting | Co-location | Hosting