[Zope-DB] Re: Relational Databases in Zope 2 and Zope 3

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 07:30:25 EDT 2004

Hi Philip

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> There's not much out-of-the-box. Since Zope3 integrates much better with
> pure-Python solutions, I think it will be more common to use
> object-relational mappers such as SQLObjects rather than hacking your
> own SQLMethods.

Okay, what about APE?

How "standard" is SQLObjects?

What is going to be the answer the the end-user question "How do I access my RDB
from Zope" in Zope 3? (I know this is a business question, but the ZSQL Methods
answer made a lot of people very happy, and it'd be good to think about it for
Zope 3)

> We still have those around, in the form of 'SQLScripts',
> but they are content objects and meant for scripters.

How mature are these?

> Sidnei has implemented a rather big application using Zope3 and
> SQLObject. The small glue code that was necessary is now open source
> (ZPL) at the z3 base, http://codespeak.net/z3, svn under
> http://codespeak.net/svn/z3/sqlos/trunk.

Cool :-)

What's the app? Where can we find out more about it?

> Using SQLObject, relational data meets Zope3 as content objects. You can
> use simply use Zope3 schemas to describe your data (shouldn't be too
> hard to model those when you've already got a relational schema ;)) and
> you can, of course, register views and adapter for those objects just
> like they were persistent...

I'm sure this will all mean something to me once I grok Zope 3.

> Note sure that that is really necessary. New projects could be starting
> with Zope3 already now, I think. sqlos is running in production and is
> therefore probably more mature than, say, Zope3's indexing machinery ;).

I'll take that as a +1 for "the two worlds should never meet" ;-)

Which raises another question: is it worth re-implementing RDB intergration in
Zope 2, or is Zope 3 close enough now that it shouldn't be bothered with?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk