[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-DB] Relational Databases in Zope 2 and Zope 3

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Mon Jun 28 08:12:23 EDT 2004

On 2004-06-28 at 13:59:41 [+0200], Stephan Richter
<stephan.richter at tufts.edu> wrote:
> On Monday 28 June 2004 07:50, Charlie Clark wrote:
> > 1) ZSQL - use property sheets and positional parameters. Personally I'd
> > like to drop DTML support in ZSQL altogether. Jim Fulton made the
> > suggestion that <dtml-sqlvar> parsing could be modified to return '?' and
> > tuple element to preserve backwards compatability but we think this would
> > no longer be necessary. It might, however, be worthwhile to have something
> > like ZPT for ZSQL to encourage reuse and embedding in applications.
>
> I disagree that ZPT would be a better choice, since it requires well-formed
> XML and is slower. I think DTML tags are still the way to go, but we should
> try to drop the "dtml-" prefix.

My understanding of ZPT's slowness is one of it's implementation: Python
rather than C. But I do not think that would be a major issue in SQL. There
would of course be little or no need for TALES support but METAL would work
quite well. It might be that nobody wants to bother with this and sticks with
<dtml-var> for the appropriate blocks but I prefer the METAL approach. Will
definitely want to drop <dtml-sqlgroup>, <dtml-sqltest> and such like as
these do not encourage good SQL programming.

> Also, we can switch to DTML 2, once it is done.

Don't know anything about this. Will it be in Zope 2?

Charlie