[Zope-DB] Re: Relational Databases in Zope 2 and Zope 3

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Jun 28 11:46:02 EDT 2004

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> Hi Philip
>>
>> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>
>>> There's not much out-of-the-box. Since Zope3 integrates much better
>>> with pure-Python solutions, I think it will be more common to use
>>> object-relational mappers such as SQLObjects rather than hacking your
>>> own SQLMethods.
>>

> does ths mean that users (aka site developers) will provide SQL
> statements to Zoe that then will transmogrify then as needed into the
> object-relational stuff needed?

No, it means that although you are using an RDBMS as a storage backend,
you nearly never have to write SQL code yourself. You write Python
objects as you are used to and define the mappings between database
tables and objects.

> Or does it mean that users will need to learn the ins and outs of
> object-relational mapping before they can use SQL in their app?

Well, you would need to know some basic concepts and a few facts about
the implementation (e.g. its limitations etc.).

Philipp