[Zope-DB] Re: Simple database suggestions

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Tue May 4 04:36:29 EDT 2004

On 2004-05-04 at 03:22:56 [+0200], Michal Kurowski wrote:
> Hmm, strong words.
>
> I'd not overestimate the meaning of the term "relational modeling".
> Are there many applications you build relying on "foreign keys"
> semantics for example ?

Let's not get tautological! Any application which has been modelled
relationally will depend upon foreign keys. The strength of the relational
approach is being able to declare relationships and rely on the RDBMS to
enforce them. But this might not always be the case and content management
itself is often not directly suited to an RDBMS model: little or no
dependance between articles, need for for full-text search.

The catering application would seem well-suited to a content approach using
the ZODB and cataloguing.

> Most often, the requirement for access to data is much more important.
> But all this is becoming a bit offtopic ...

Indeed.

Charlie