[Zope-DB] RFC: mxODBCZopeDA & ZEO

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Mon May 24 13:48:48 EDT 2004

On 2004-05-24 at 18:58:54 [+0200], Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> Charlie Clark wrote at 2004-5-24 14:27 +0200:
> >ZEO essentially replicates the ZODB across various ZEO clients. While this
> >is fine for applications which are heavily dependent upon content from the
> >ZODB, it may not be the best solution for RDBMS driven data or indeed any
> >Zoep product that is dependent on external libraries. ie. might it not make
> >more sense to centralise the connection object to reduce configuration and
> >maintenance overhead and security risks?
>
> Why do you think so?
>
> We are using ZEO together with PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle.
> We did not yet observe any (ZEO related) problem.

Well, the following struck while we were testing and installing:
1) each Zope Product has to be installed and possibly configured locally
2) each DB has to be configured to accept connections from the various clients
3) heterogeneous clients may in some circumstances confuse each other
configuration

In the case of a DB connection object it is arguable that a single connection
object running a pool of connections probably to a DB cluster makes more
sense. Clients could be added at will without reconfiguration of the server.
Little configuration management of the clients needed with Zope or Product
updates. This would, of course, largely depend upon the load placed the
individual object.

Charlie