[Zope-DB] 3114, 'ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE'

Jim Abramson jabramson at wgen.net
Wed Oct 6 12:39:50 EDT 2004

We have a mechanism dealing with this:

1 - a python script in zope that uses a given DCO2 connection to ask oracle (select 'OK' from dual)
2 - a mon process that requests this py script by URL every n minutes
3 - if the reponse is not 'OK' from the URL call, retry after n seconds
4 - if n retries fail, we restart zope summarily.

step 4 is necessary because it seems once the pool, or a connection in the pool, has gone sour, there's no manage_ option that really makes everything fine again.

We are 100% certain our database isn't flaking, many other users/systems connected and they do not complain.  The connection pool just doesn't seem to keep itself in a happy/healthy state all the time.  But this mon solution works very well for us.

Admittedly, I haven't tried Chris' branch of DCO2 to see if it works better there.

Jim