[Zope-DB] Wierd rollback problem in mxODBC DA

Philip Kilner phil at xfr.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 04:23:14 EDT 2004

Hi Matthew,

Matthew T. Kromer wrote:
> if I had to guess at it, I'd think you're seeing some kind of
> glitch in your actual database, most likely having to do with how
> independent transactions view each other when run concurrently.

Hmmm...but the identical code to that produced by the ZSQL query
template, when run cut and pasted into a stored procedure, executed as
intended.

> You didn't list your target database type, nor your code, so I cant
> guess any further.

I did, in fact - it's MS SQL Server.

The ZSQL Method reads: -

INSERT INTO dbo.T_CANDIDATE_REGISTRATION(
           CreateGUID,
           Forenames,
           Surname,
           DateOfBirth,
           Gender,
           EthnicGroup,
           OrgID,
           AwardID,
           CentreCandidateRef,
           SpecialAssessment
           )
SELECT    TransactionRef,
           Forenames,
           Surname,
           IsoDoB,
           Gender,
           CorrectedEthnicGroup,
           AsetCentreRef,
           AwardID,
           CentreCandidateRef,
           SpecialAssessBit
FROM      dbo.V_QUAL_EREG_REG_VLD_DRIVER
WHERE     (RegBatchID = <dtml-sqlvar RegBatchID type="int">) AND
           (BatchResultSource = 'Accepted')

As you can see it's very simple, the selection is based on "RegBatchID"
- only this batch has been an issue as a ZSQL method, but it ran fine as
an SP.

> I would be surprised if mxODBC were the culprit; the symptoms you
> describe usually have to do with understanding the nuances of your
> target database and how Zope actually drives the adapter.
>
> For example, are you sure the SQL method which queries the table isn't
> caching the results?   There's a cache tab which controls this; the
> result cache is unaware of any updates you may do which would invalidate
> the cache.  Not caching is the default behavior, but if you turned
> caching on you could be bitten by this.

Well, I'm, not sure what it's /doing/, but in terms of settings - it's
turned off.

--

Regards,

PhilK

Email: phil at xfr.co.uk / Voicemail & Facsimile: 07092 070518

"Work as if you lived in the early days of a better nation." - Alasdair Gray