[Zope-DB] Interested in continued Oracle support in Zope?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Sep 1 06:45:59 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote:
> Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
>

>> hm... I was briefly looking at some docs on the PHP Oracle adapter...
>> they seem to be little more than a thin layer over the OCI interface...
>>
>> Would that be considered a "decent" interface? Or would that be too
>> bare-bones? (I suspect it might)
>

> I don't know until I try ;-) Even if it was a thin layer, it might be
> enough, but someone still has to write that "thing layer"...
>
> Any takers?

 From what I've heard, the "thin layer" is exactly where the problem
lies with the Oracle interface: Oracle has a tendency to change their
APIs rather often, adding new features, data types, etc. as they
go along.

As a result, you have to update the "thin layer" following
their release scheme and maintain it for at least 3 or more
different Oracle releases if you really want to provide a
rock solid interface.

Now multiply that with the need for 32-bit and 64-bit versions,
support for 5 or 6 different Un*x platforms and the word "thin"
gets a whole new meaning ;-)

I still don't quite understand the problems people have with
investing a few grand for database connectivity in the light of
average Oracle database server costs.

I can only say from my own experience that the combination
EasySoft Oracle ODBC driver + mxODBC works very well and
let's you focus on more important things, like e.g. designing
your database schema with consistency and query performance
in mind.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 01 2004)