[Zope-DB] Optimal System Design

Aaron Fosdick aaron at hypervision.com
Thu Sep 16 12:53:02 EDT 2004

Brian,

This is a very open ended question and the correct answer depends on a
number of variables such as how much caching you want to do, the nature
of the queries, are your SQL methods asking MySQL to do processing, and
are you going to run Plone/CMS or just Zope, etc.. From my experience, I
think you will find that this system will be light in RAM, but should be
adequate to begin. However, if your budget allows, make the following
changes.

Get 1GB RAM - it's cheap and the apps will take advantage of it.
Get 2CPUs, and make sure to get/build a good 2.6 SMP kernel. IMO - Zope
consumes far more CPU than MySQL. Plus it's fun to watch the little CPU
utilization bars in gkrellm.

Some other notes:
You *may* find that Fedora Core 2 supports the Dell better.
Be sure to benchmark with and without hyperthreading as it can slow you
down in some cases.
In my experience partitions don't really make much difference. You can
do whatever suits you - Software RAID 0 won't give you a boost on this
class of system other than the comfort of knowing that a drive can fail
and you'll be ok.
Dell's integrated controllers are nothing to write home about, and you
won't see much performance improvement unless you move to a PERC card
with 3+ drives.  The ideal configuration would be a PERC with 5 drives:
4 in RAID 5, 1 as a hotspare.
Unless you absolutely need a feature, avoid beta software..  stick with
stable versions (MySQL 4.0.21) for your production systems.  You can
always put the bleeding edge stuff on your dev box.

Good luck,

--Aaron