[Zope-DB] Returning values from Oracle function/procedure withZSQLMethod

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 04:23:22 EDT 2005

Hi Cynthia,

Cynthia Kiser wrote:

> When you do our own connection management, are you able to avoid
> DCOracle2 leaking connections? In our Zope 2.6.1/DCOracle2-1.3b
> server, we accumulate sessions where Oracle is waiting for a response
> from Zope, but Zope apparently thinks it closed that connection and
> opened a new one.

If you google for my name, Oracle and Zope you'll find lots of
information on the problem ;-)
It's basically ZOracleDA's funny idea of connection pooling that causes
the problem. Unless your ZSQL methods are hammered heavilly, you'll see
plenty of unused oracle sessions. These aren't being leaked as you
suggest, just not used very often. This results in "Oracle Not
Connected" errors if your DBA sets a timeout on unused Oracle sessions...

  Manually closing and reopening the connection does
> not clean up the forgotten sessions, so I periodically (~monthly)
> restart the Zope server to clean up.

Control Panel -> Database -> Main -> Flush Cache will have the same
effect...

> me with the impression that its connection closing function did not
> work.

It doesn't ;-)

cheers,

Chris