[Zope-DB] How to connect to DB2 on the iSeries via Zope from Windows 2000 or XP

Matthew T.Kromer matt at bane.mi.org
Fri Jan 21 09:29:46 EST 2005

If I can chime in too -- mxODBC is a very good product.  Its licensing
fee is minimal; ie, if you spend more than about two hours trying to
compile an adapter yourself you've probably consumed more labor time
than the license fee for mxODBC.  I'm certainly not trying to drive
business to Charlie, but the DB2 API basically *is* ODBC (I looked at
writing a DB2 adapter myself once).   When I need to drop an adapter on
Windows, I reach for mxODBC first.

HOWEVER, Microsoft has released command-line only versions of the
Visual C++ compilers to be free to download and use.  You can probably
use that to build an adapter from source on Windows.

In general, I pity those folks having to build things on windows,
because it irritates the heck out of me whenever *I* have to do it.
I'm sure Charlie or Marc-André have some lovely war-stories about how
awful the build environment there can be.