[Zope-DB] Using psycopg directly in Zope Python script

Jørgen Frøjk Kjærsgaard jfk at metation.com
Mon Jul 4 05:04:59 EDT 2005

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>Jørgen Frøjk Kjærsgaard wrote at 2005-7-1 23:28 +0200:
>

>>I need to be able to access a Postgresql database directly from Zope
>>Python scripts (Z SQL Methods is not an option as the SQL code occurs in
>>modules that must be re-usable in a non-Zope context).
>>import psycopg
>>dbcon = psycopg.connect('host=%s dbname=%s user=%s' % ('dbhost',
>>'dbname', 'username'))
>>

>You should *NOT* do this because you move outside of Zope's
>transaction handling.
>
>Fetch the connection from the DA. It looks somehow like:
>
>      db = DA()	# low level connection object
>      db._register() # register with Zope's transaction system
>      conn = db.db # this is the "psycopg" connection
>
>Pass the "conn" into your code.

Thanks! This is exactly what I would like to do in the end. The code
above was just a first attempt to get started.

>>When run outside Zope, it opens a connection as expected. When run in
>>Zope, however, I get "thrown out" - the browser asks me to enter my user
>>name and password again. I get no error message!
>>

>Cancel the login dialog and you will get the error message :-)

Good to know :-)

>>Does Zope somehow create a restricted environment
>>

>PythonScripts are a restricted environment where "import" is
>restricted as well as access to attributes.

I didn't read the Zope book very carefully on that point - I have been
using Python mod_python for years but am new to "advanced" Zope programming.

Another question: When I define an external method to process form data,
I have to do it like this:

def process_form_data(self, name, address, zip, ...):

What I would like to do is:

def process_form_data(self, **args):

so that I don't have to alter the argument list if I add or remove
fields. However, args always comes out empty, presumeably because Zope
inspects the argument list and passes only those arguments that have a
matching name in the list. Is there any way to tell Zope to pass "the
rest" in **args?

--
med venlig hilsen / regards

Jørgen Frøjk Kjærsgaard
Systemudvikler

Metation ApS
systemudvikling * hosting * IT rådgivning