[Fwd: Re: [Zope-DB] Status and future of OracleStorage]

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Mar 28 11:30:35 EST 2005

Here is a second attempt to post a message on this list.  (The
members-only posting policy on zope.org is awful.)

Subject: Re: [Zope-DB] Status and future of OracleStorage
From:    "Shane Hathaway" <shane at hathawaymix.org>
Date:    Mon, March 28, 2005 8:20 am
To:      "Chris Withers" <chris at simplistix.co.uk>
Cc:      Dario Lopez-Kästen <dario at ita.chalmers.se>
         zope-db at zope.org

Chris Withers wrote:
> Andreas Jung wrote:
>
>> I think OS is dead and the recommended and most flexible solution is to
use APE
>> at this time.
>

> Yes, but how is APE development doing? Is there a list for it? Where is
the source code repository?

> Shane's been awful quiet for a very long time now...

Ape works just fine, so it doesn't need us much maintenance as it used to.
 The storage comparison chart is out of date--it's no longer in alpha.
The mailing list and source code repository are on
{mail|cvs}.zope.org.

Now I'm trying to figure out whether Ape needs improvement and whether
there should be an Ape for Zope 3.  Just a couple of days ago I wrote a
plan for Ape 2.0, but then I ran into a problem before I published it: if
Ape will no longer be useful with Zope 3, why do we need Ape?  For
developers using Zope 3, the choice is between:

1) Write your code for a specific storage framework, such as SQLObject.
 If you have to port code to a different framework, tough luck--you have
to change a lot of code.

2) Write your code for a generic storage framework
(persistent.Persistent).  Use Ape to store objects in databases other than
ZODB.  If your code doesn't fit the generic framework, tough
luck--you have to depend on a specific framework or extend the generic
framework.

The second choice is appealing, but applications often have intimate
dependencies on storage mechanisms.  For example, ZCatalogs want to live
in ZODB so they can have fast access to large BTrees.  Customer lists want
to live in relational databases so ad-hoc queries are possible. Folders,
images, scripts, and templates want to live in filesystems so you can grow
a large collection or put them under version control.

Perhaps Ape is useful for the applications whose proper storage
mechanism is not so obvious.  Weblogs, for example--SQL or filesystem?

Shane