[Zope-DB] Help request from a non-developer

Christophe Appell butchfag at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 11:43:06 EDT 2006

On 4/13/06, jpenny at ykksnap-america.com <jpenny at ykksnap-america.com> wrote:
> Well, this is one reason that I strongly prefer keeping my code
> on the file system.  The availability of change-control software
> is the other.  I happen to like git.

Well, we are probably going to do this for files (some forms have
associated document files), but I don't see how this would be overly
possible for form data, am I off base ? Oh, I would love to implement
change control software but I figure let's ask for emergency changes
first and then we can look at luxury options.

> I do development on my machine, and as much testing as possible.  Then on the production machine I do a cg-update my_machine_name to pull the code from my machine into production.
>
> So, how do you get code in files?  The two best I have found are the FileSystemSite from infrae, and the DirectoryView portion of zope CMF.  Unfortunately, either require some reformatting of method data, particularly the headers.  So some retyping and retesting is required.  I am using FileSystemSite, and any new code goes there.  Working code stays in the ZODB until I have time or need to fix it.

I'm not sure if this would work for me as 90% of the data I'm worried
about getting squashed is form data entered by the site's users rather
than code the developer is working with.

> Another option, which I have never used, is zsyncer,
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/zsyncer

Thanks, I'll have a look at that. But I guess really what I'm hoping
to find out is how feasible is it to dhunk out the user-entered data
and put it in an exteranl DB so it is safe from being stepped on
during code updates ?

Christopher Appell