[Zope-DB] mxODBC Ms SQL Server Strange Performance Problem

Peter Millar peter.millar at parasyn.com.au
Mon Apr 17 20:50:34 EDT 2006

We have been using egenix mxODBC Zope/Plone Database Adaptor 1.08 for the
past two years without a hitch.  We have a number of installed solutions and
all handle load quite well.

We have a large MS SQL Server system which is suffering under load.
Basically the symptons look like this (You run them in this order):
1.  Run a query through egenix Zope DA test tab, and it works (data returns
ok) 2.  Run same query through MS SQL Query Analyser, and it works.
3.  Run same query through egenix Zope DA test tab, and it never returns 4.
Run same query through MS SQL Query Analyser, and it works.  Or through a
free ODBC client and it works.
Stop Zope, no change
Reboot machine, comes back on line.  Alternative to this is to leave it over
night and it comes back.  Almost like a timeout.
The queries I am testing with query a large db, take about a minute to
retrieve a few thousand records.
I have increased the pool size from 1 to 12 and it hasn't seemed to help.

We run Plone 2.0 which uses Zope 2.7.0.  The server we have running is a 4
CPU Win 2003 server, with 3GB of RAM 1.5 GB devoted solely for MS SQL
Server.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Millar