[Zope-DB] dealing with dropped database connections

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Wed Jan 18 08:51:53 EST 2006

martin f krafft wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a client of mine complains about dropped database connections
> (SybaseDA), which wreak havoc. For instance, if the network goes
> down for a while, the DA is left in an irrecoverable state.
>
> Short of a regular wget to the manage interface to restart the DA,
> what can be done? Is this something about SybaseDA (which is no
> longer maintained), or a common problem?
>
> What would you advise, short of hunting down the problem and fixing
> it?

This problem is common to all ZopeDA's connected to network data
sources.  You might want to try using our mxODBCZopeDA with the option
"Connect on demand" which often helps in these situations. However, a
lot depends on how your data source and driver are configured as the
"stale" connection is often serialised even though it has been lost.

Charlie