[Zope-DB] Zope database connectivity

Matthew T. Kromer matt at bane.mi.org
Thu Jul 13 07:43:10 EDT 2006

Basically, no.

You could recode DA's to close the connection at the end of every
transaction and reopen them on demand, but to the best of my
knowledge none of the DAs work that way.

Once a connection object opens its connection it stays open but in
the object cache of that thread.  This gives it both an indeterminate
lifespan and a fair amount of isolation from other threads -- sadly,
the thread that you're running your ZMI transaction on.  The ZMI cant
"see" what objects the other threads are using (well you actually CAN
program that but -- dont! -- you'd most likely break Zope in a severe
way without intending to)

Most of the open buttons on database connections are pretty useless
-- they just make the connection open early.  Most DA's open a
connection on demand.  For "Most" read "all" because I don't know of
one that DOESNT work that way.