[Zope-DB] [ANN] Modified version of DCOracle2 is available

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 05:42:01 EST 2006

Maciej Wisniowski wrote:
> Due to discussion on Zope list and some work I did before
> I've published modified version of DCOracle2.

Can I suggest you sign a contributor agreement and contribute this
directly to the Zope CVS or SVN repository? I think DCOracle2 may still
be in CVS, but Jen Vagelpohl has become quite adept and moving things
from one to the other. If you tickle him nicely, he may move it to SVN
if it's not already there ;-)

> What is in this version:
> 1. Bug fixes
>  - StoredProcedures caused deadlocks in database
>  - StoredProcedures caused conflict errors under heavy load
>    removed self._errors reference and added _p_resolveConflict
>  - other I don't remember now

With unit tests I hope?

> 2. Changes
>  Changes are only in python files
>  - DCOracle2 now uses connection pool
>    Pool implementation is based on psycopg but
>    it doesn't use volatile attributes.

Please be careful, I made one attempt at this and it's fiendishly
difficult to get right...

>    As a result:
>    - Open/Close button in ZMI works as it should

Hurrah! For the record, the DCOracle2 trunk in CVS did this too..

>    - DCOracle is possibly slower a bit

How so?

>  - Ability to reconnect after the connection is broken
>    When Oracle is restarted, connection is closed by firewall
>    etc. Zope will show an error but only once for every broken
>    connection. Second request will cause DCOracle2 to reconnect

I may have done something similar on the trunk, I suggest you have a
check how that code compares with yours...

>  - Testing...

You really really really need to write the tests first for this kind of
problem...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk