[Zope-DB] Pitfall: mxODBCZopeDA and test runner in 2.9+

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Oct 13 13:22:46 EDT 2006

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>>> Why does the test runner delete .pyc files in directories it
>>> doesn't own ?
>> The common case used to be:
>>
>> 1. run tests in a checkout (generates .pyc's for each .py file imported)
>>
>> 2. svn up, which deletes a load of .py files
>>
>> 3. re-run tests, curse and swear that there are still .pyc files lying
>>    around that got imported, and you only noticed when your production
>>    environment broke, because you rebuild that out from scratch on
>>    upgrade
>>
>> ...so the "autho-pyc-destructor" was built ;-)
>
> Sounds like a developer setup :-)
>
> For those I do have a solution:
>
> chown root.zope .../Products/mxODBCZopeDA
> chmod 750 .../Products/mxODBCZopeDA
>
> (provided zope is the group of the Zope daemon)
>
> That way you prevent deletions in the product directory
> by any user other than root.

Here's another way:

Using

    http://www.egenix.com/files/python/pyc2py.py

you can convert any .pyc file into a .py file which
will import just like the .pyc file. The script also
supports glob patterns, so you can do:

    pyc2py.py *.pyc

Imports will run a tad slower, but that shouldn't matter
for an application server like Zope.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 13 2006)