[Zope-DB] Re: Zope hungs: mxODBC + Progress ODBC on Windows

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Mon Jan 22 06:13:16 EST 2007

Am 22.01.2007, 11:54 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki at provider.pl>:

> Charlie Clark napisał(a):
> Am 22.01.2007, 11:24 Uhr, schrieb Pawel Lewicki <lewicki at provider.pl>:
>  Hi,
>> I'm using a configuration from the subject. It's quite an old Zope 2.7
>> instance without prospects of upgrade because of dependencies.
>> Problem is with ODBC broker timeouts. When query takes too much time
>> the connection breaks and Zope hangs. I suspect that ODBC client hangs
>> and binds mxODBC binaries.
>> I have the same problem when ODBC client is badly configured and I
>> restart Zope with open connection.
>> What would be the best option to free Zope from hung process?
>> Additional layer like ODBC-ODBC bridge if available?

> Can you provide more detailed information about your setup? ie. which
> combination of driver and bridge on which platforms you're using?

>  Progress 9.1 + OpenLink ODBC broker(5.1) on Solaris 32 Bit Sun Sparc
> Openlink ODBC client + Zope2.7 on Windows XP

That is an interesting combination! Have you been in touch with Openlink
at all? The mxODBC Zope DA is pretty resilient but will, of course, have
problems if the driver it is talking to times out or freezes. How many
connections have you got running? mxODBC should be able to open an
additional connection if necessary and possible. I think it is essential
to find out what is causing the queries to timeout.

Charlie