[Zope-DB] Unified DA for Zope 2 using SQLAlchemy?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Mon Mar 26 16:31:58 EDT 2007

--On 26. März 2007 22:21:02 +0200 Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de>
wrote:

> Andreas Jung wrote at 2007-3-25 17:49 +0200:
>> In the Zope 2 worlds we have dedicated database adapters
>> for different databases. Fortunately the Python world made us a
>> wonderful present called SQLAlchemy that abstracts the different
>> databases. In the Zope world we have some wrappers like
>> z3c.zalchemy and z3c.sqlalchemy... basically they deal with connection
>> handling, mapper handling and integration with the Zope transaction
>> system. Would it make sense to replace all different Zope DAs with
>> a generic DA on top of one of the z3c.* wrappers? I think it would not
>> be too hard to write such a DA...or am I missing something? Thoughts?
>
> As I think I know you a bit, I would expect that you also want
> to deprecate the current support and get rid of it altogether
> within a year.

My posting says *nothing* about deprecating something. So __please__
stop reading between the lines when there is nothing - except whitespaces.

> This would get an even greater desaster than the tried removal of "zLOG":
> huge amounts of applications would stop to work -- and many people
> would stop to use new Zope releases.
> >

> Otherwise, I would not object against an *additional* SQLAlchemy based
> adapter.

That's *exactly* what I am talking about - an *additional* generic DA
on top of SA  where we don't have to care about the different RDBMS
flavours - at least not the ones directly supported through SA.

-aj