[Zope-DB] Question Concerning Z SQL Method and Class Bindings

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Tue May 25 15:03:35 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 21:33 -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I am reading the zope 2 book (relational database section) and it
> talks about binding classes by putting them in the Extensions
> directory and then associating them with a Z SQL Method. That seems to
> be rather straight forward, but where can I find some examples of
> accessing the values returned from the Z SQL Method in Python. For
> example,
>
> Z SQL Method
> select * from offense where gameID=<some input value from a form>
>
> This returns ~10 rows. Each row has columns playerID, PB, BB, SacBunt,
> HBP as well as other columns, all containing integer values.
>
> class GameStats
> """Reads the database for the stats for every player in a game and
> calculates the stats"""
>
>     def AtBat(self, player_id):
>         """Calculate the AB for a player. AB = PA - (BB + SacBunt +
> HBP - SF)"""
>         How do I get the columns PA, BB, etc for a particular playerID
> to calculate the BA from the result returned by the Z SQL method? Is
> there some documentation for how to access the results of the query
> within this class?

Individual columns should be accessible as attributes of the Brain
object, eg. self.playerID etc. If there's a column PA, it should be
named self.PA.

Btw., usually when I'm in doubt which attributes or methods are
available for a given object, I just put a breakpoint at the location in
question and poke at it with pdb, the Python debugger. See eg.
http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/DebuggingWithPdb , under "breakpoint in the
code" how to invoke the debugger. See
http://docs.python.org/library/pdb.html for pdb docs.

hth,