[Zope-dev] Debugging Tip

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:04:07 -0600

John Eikenberry wrote:

> Another debugging tip that some of the newer people might not be
> aware of is Mr. Creosote by Jeff Bauer.
>
> Mr. Creosote is a simple way to basically add print-like statements to
> your DTML, External Methods or Products. Great for debugging.
>
> For more info, see:
>
> http://starship.python.net/crew/jbauer/creosote/index.html
>
> BTW, thanks Jeff, I love this little tool. :)

John,

Thanks for the kind words.  I need to document MrCreosote
better, particularly for Zope use.

Usually, I place a single line in the debug code, which
is simple to [un]comment.

  from creosote import MrCreosote; spew=MrCreosote().spew

Subsequent code use just simple spew() statements:

  spew("Hello, world")

BTW, The 'C' version of MrCreosote is also being used in
some Python CE development and even a Python Netscape/IE
Plugin I'm working on.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.