[Zope-dev] Strange Characters and Zope

Brian Hooper brian@garage.co.jp
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 13:47:58 +0900

>From the standpoint of a Japanese Zope user:

Would it be unreasonable to suggest that the default MIME type assigned
by Zope to documents containing 'binary' information (i.e. 8-bit
characters) be something other than 'application/x-octet-stream'?  I
don't know if there's a better way of doing this, but since most Zope
documents don't have a file extension, the MIME type of the document is
detected by looking at the content in the case of DTML Documents and
Methods - I don't know what the case is with other non-US character
sets, but this cause me problems...

My temporary fix is to change the default MIME type (in
$ZOPE/lib/python/OFS/content_types.py) to 'text/html'.  That way, my
Japanese documents come out in Japanese.

-Brian Hooper
Digital Garage, Inc.