[Zope-dev] Strange Characters and Zope

Andreas Kostyrka andreas@mtg.co.at
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 10:08:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Brian Hooper wrote:

> >From the standpoint of a Japanese Zope user:
>
> Would it be unreasonable to suggest that the default MIME type assigned
> by Zope to documents containing 'binary' information (i.e. 8-bit
> characters) be something other than 'application/x-octet-stream'?  I
> don't know if there's a better way of doing this, but since most Zope
> documents don't have a file extension, the MIME type of the document is
> detected by looking at the content in the case of DTML Documents and
> Methods - I don't know what the case is with other non-US character
> sets, but this cause me problems...
>
> My temporary fix is to change the default MIME type (in
> $ZOPE/lib/python/OFS/content_types.py) to 'text/html'.  That way, my
> Japanese documents come out in Japanese.
Well, you could add

<dtml-call "RESPONSE.set('content-type','text/html')">

to your standard_html_header.

Actually, we did hit this problem too, but only when one of our sales
types was trying out ZOPE (to know what he is selling ;) ), and Win98/IE5
added some curious characters. OTOH, developing for ISOLATIN1 with
X11/Netscape never provoked this kind of problems.

(Even more curious is, that IE5 DOES display application/octet-stream as
 HTML, even with a missing <HTML> and <BODY> tag it seems ;) )

Andreas
--
Andreas Kostyrka                     | andreas@mtg.co.at
phone: +54/1/7070750                 | phone: +43/676/4091256