[Zope-dev] SMTP access

Joerg Wittenberger Joerg Wittenberger <Joerg.Wittenberger@pobox.com>
02 Aug 1999 13:03:14 +0200

Hello folks,

the other day I've got an idea, which IMHO is worth to consider, but
I'm not sure about.

I find zope a very intersting thing, but there is a drawback: you
can't operate disconnected.

Proposal: It would be really cool if I could prepare a xml message
with the same content as a filled in formular or just a http/get
request would have and send this to an object.  Zope would reply with
a mail message containing the reply.

To illustrate that a little more:

a form like that:

would be sent in as

phone=mynumber

for http but as

<phone>
mynumber
</phone>

for email.

The url would have to be encoded within the user name somehow e. g. an
action url like

http://www.dom.tld/foo/bar

could be encoded as say: "foo/bar" <zope@www.dom.tld>

Cookies, when required could maybe encoded in message-ids.

I must admit: this is just an idea, I'm a bit too new to zope to judge
about feasibility.

How is yours, gurus?

/Jerry