[Zope-dev] Does ZServer support persistant TCP connections? Does it close them?

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:54:18 -0400

On 2 Aug 99, at 15:55, Brad Clements wrote:

> Based on how it hangs, I'm beginning to think that IE5 might be
> expecting Zserver  to support persistant connections, and either Zserver
> doesn't, or it closes it's end after some idle time limit that is much
> lower than IE5 expects... Or it loses track of an idle tcp connection until
> kicked in the butt by a new request.
>
> Can anyone say right away if ZServer supports persistant connections, and
> if yes, what's the timeout.

More info on this:

1. I changed http_server.py done() to have close_it = 1, assuming that
all tcp connections will be closed after each request.

that has no effect on the problem

2. using netstat -an, I can see that even with close_it = 1, ie5 keeps 2
connections open to the server and they're ESTABLISHED.

As soon as the connections go to TIME_WAIT, IE5 will hang. I'm not
sure which end is closing the connection.

3. After the original connection goes to TIME_WAIT, I make a request
from IE5 and see the long delay, netstat shows that a new connection
has been opened, but there is still a long delay getting a reply from the
server.

4. If I open another connection from another browser, the "hanging"
connection "wakes up" and services the request.

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               ICQ: 14856937