[Zope-dev] the birth of ZCommerce

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Thu, 05 Aug 1999 10:57:24 -0400

> Josh Zeidner wrote:
>
>>   2) Maybe we should agree on an accounting system to implement the API in (
>> Beachtree seems like a likely candidate ).
>
> No, we shouldn't.  We want this done the Unix fashion, where you have
> choice.

An unfortunate reality for anyone who has not spent their entire life mired
in accounting is that you have to have a *starting point* for all
implementations.  To design an API in a vacuum is a foolish thing indeed.
It is best to try and look at what one instance requires and make it as
generic as possible.  It is not unreasonable to choose a commercial product
for this given the fact that I know of no "Open Source" accounting packages,
and even if they did exist, I'd hazard they have market share measured on a
single hand.  This wouldn't be the most prudent method to grain a scalable
API.

Chris