[Zope-dev] PROPOSAL: html_quote implicit in entity-reference var tag syntax

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 18:55:11 -0400

Zope 2.0 allows you to use an entity-reference syntax for the var
tag.  For example, you can do:

rather than:

Unfortunately, you always need html_quote in a situation like this.
I propose that:

  &dtml-name;

should be equivalent to:

  <dtml-var name html_quote>

(Or, of course:

  <!--#var name html_quote-->
)

Without this change, I think the entity-reference syntax doesn't
really solve the problem it was designed to solve.

Can anyone think of a case where you need the entity-reference
syntax and wouldn't want html_quote?

I feel that this change needs to be made now, before Zope 2.0
final, since it is not backward compatible. For example,
if someone has a document like:

  &dtml-standard_html_header;

  &dtml-standard_html_footer;

Making html_quote explicit will break their document.

Comments?

Jim

repeats.