[Zope-dev] Beat 5 Lockup!

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:25:24 -0400

Jason Spisak wrote:

> Zopsters,
>
> I have just experienced a lockup just like beta4 in beta5!

This happened on the beta zope site on Tuesday.
It hasn't happened since.

> Anyone else privy to this?

I'm curious too. Has anyone else seen this?

Specifically, has anyone else had a problem with their Zope
site becomming completely unresponsive?  If so, please contact
me ASAP. Feel free to call the number below.

I would *love* to find a site for which this happens
with some regularity so that I can nail whatever's causing this.

BTW, *please* make sure that logging is turned on.
See doc/LOGGING.txt in the Zope distribution.

If your site does become unresponsive, here are some things
I'd like you to do:

  - Send me both the logger log and the hit log (zipped or
    gzipped).

  - If this is on Uniz, send me output of a verbose ps
    command ('ps auwwx' or 'ps -elf').

  - If running on linux, send me the output of:

      strace -p <pid_of_zope_process> 2>/tmp/crazy_zope.log

    (send me the crazy_zope.log).

  - If you have FTP enabled, try:

      ftp hostname port

    where hostname and port are the machine and port you have ZServe
    servng FTP on.  I want to see if you get any sort of response
    after making the connection. That is, I want to see if the medusa
    part of ZServer is responding.

  - If you have the monitor enabled, have a plain text superuser password,
    and you are running on Unix, please try connecting to the monitor:

      python ZServer/medusa/monitor_client.py hostname
      <password>

    Is the monitor responding?  If so, try:

      import Zope
      print Zope.DB._pools[0]