[Zope-dev] ZSybaseDA 1.0.1 and MS-SQL (was Re: ANN: ZSybaseDA 1.0.1)

Tue, 31 Aug 1999 21:14:27 +1000

>>> Anthony Baxter wrote
> I'm attempting to connect from a Linux (RH5.2ish) box using Sybase client
> libs from Sybase ASE 11.0.3.3 to MS-SQL 6.5sp3.
>
> The SQL Method
> select count(name) as cnt from sysobjects
>
> gives the following when you try to do a Test:
>
>       Error, SybaseError: ct_cursor failed
>        ct_cursor(): user api layer: external error: The connection's capabili
ties do not support this type of request.

Quick update: It seems that you can't use a cursor under ctsybase (both
old and new versions) when talking to MS SQL.  The old ZSybaseDA just
uses connection.execute()'s results (rather than the DB-SIG interface).

It's quite possible that the cursor is being opened with the wrong
options or something - I have no idea about the ctsybase C interface
(learning Oracle's OCI interface was bad enough). I have a brutally
hacked version that goes back to the previous version of ZSybaseDA's
use of the db.execute's return results, and it seems to work.

What's the best way to deal with this? Maybe have a checkbox on the
Properties screen saying 'use a cursor' (default)? (with a note saying
that this may be needed to talk to MS-SQL...)

Anthony