[Zope-dev] XMLDocument appears to leak memory

David Kankiewicz i173327@thegrid.net
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:53:51 -0700

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think I've seen an earlier report and I'd like to confirm this. XML
> Document appears to leak memory pretty badly:
>
> * When rendering it with DTML to HTML, Zope's memory use often goes up a
> few kilobytes. Not all the time, it appears, but a reload often does the
> trick.
>
> * It also appears that doing a DOM manipulation (for instance
> appendChild) increases Zope's memory use significantly; by a few 10s of
> k.
>
> Now, I'm using some external methods to render and manipulate this
> document, so I may be introducing some circular references there
> instead. I'll try to find a simple test case. Zope's memory use is
> easily driven up by a couple of megabytes in a short time by what I'm
> doing, which is rather annoying.
>
> Anyone has any idea on what may be going on?

I've been working with the Zope Quick reference in XML and have found
Zope's internal XML Documents are on about 10 times the size compared to
stand alone file. (my guess, seems to be the DOM information?). With the
manipulation, it might be the storage required to undo (not sure?).

If you find out otherwise let me know,
David Kankiewicz