[Zope-dev] How to pause a Zope system

Joshua Brauer joshua@brauer.org
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:05:15 -0700

I came across this by accident.... but I found a sure-fire way to get Zope (2.0.1) on Linux (RH 6.1) to consume all of the CPU resources for several minutes rendering the box useless at that time.

Create a frameset document (mine had 5 frames in it)

For the source of one of the frames give it a DTML Method with NOTHING in it.

Try to view the document (at a time when you don't mind your server hanging up for several minutes. The first time it happened to me I hard booted the box before it came back to life, but for kicks start top on the box and monitor the CPU usage while this is going on).
                                    # # #

Joshua Brauer                                         Box 915
http://www.brauer.org                          Fort Collins, CO 80522
Fax: (419) 793-4120
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
          -- Wilbur Wright in a letter to his father, September 1900