[Zope-dev] Re: Zope ISP'ing (was ZODB DA)

David Kankiewicz kankie@thegrid.net
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 12:37:20 -0800

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Pavlos Christoforou wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Jim Fulton wrote:
> >
> > > This sort of scheme could be achieved with relatively minor extensions
> > > to user databases and storages. For example you could problably
> > > use an accounting storage that wrapped another storage (much
> > > like DemoStorage or Ty Sarna's CompressedStorage do).
> >
> > IMO an easy way to hook up multiple storages is still desirable. For one
> > you can mix non-versioning storages with versioning ones or even more
> > fancy things like read only (cd-rom based ones) with the regular
> > FileStorage.

That could be used in any number of cool ideas, personal storage,
offline editing etc..

> Absolutely, but having multiple DBs is harder than implementing
> an accounting model, so the best way to achiev *this* goal is
> with an accounting model. Furthermore, I think that an
> accounting-based approach has advantages over the multi-db
> approach.
>
> Jim

Having multiple DBs would allow much better control over diskspace then
the accounting-based approach. Two main points are; non "packed" ZODBs
can consume all the users qouta, and packing one large ZODB removes
"date" oriented undo features for all the users.

my two bits,
David