[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Zope direction and 2.2 roadmap...

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 16:38:10 -0500

On 12/9/99 4:27 PM, Itamar Shtull-Trauring at itamars@ibm.net wrote:

> Brian Lloyd wrote:
>
>> I will definitely be interested in feedback from Zopistas on
>> the effect of PMs on the sort of problems that tags like "local"
>> and "set" propose to solve.
>
> PythonMethods are wonderful!

We will be committing Evan's latest code (with some modifications) into CVS
in the very near future, and then people can start working with it via that
if they wish.  He's going to continue working with us on it.

> After wasting a week writing a workflow tool in DTML, we junked it, and
> started from scratch using python base classes and PythonMethods.  A week's
> work on the part of two people was done instead in two days by one person.
> DTML is good for what it's meant for (generating HTML), but for programming
> python is the way to go.  So I'm no longer troubled by DTML, since I was
> using it for something it wasn't meant for.

This is the difficulty in pushing a tool outside its problem domain.

> I could live without DTML quite happily, but it's good to have it cause it
> discourages you from going down the PHP path of embedded code in HTML.

I think it's important that we iterate the placement of Python Methods v.
DTML.  They are not exclusive of each other, but rather very complementary.
I think this will become more evident in the coming months.