[Zope-dev] Fwd: Re: Reiserfs as the object database

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:03:32 -0800

I emailed Hans Reiser to ask him to comment on the feasibility of
relying on the filesystem to act as the object database (using
reiserfs). He had this to say:

----------  ## Forwarded Message ##  ----------

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 01:04:43 +0300
From: Hans Reiser <reiser@idiom.com>

Patrick, I think what you say has a lot of merit, and the areas in which we are
extending our functionality will make this easier and easier over time.  Features
in our next version like item handlers, inheritance, lightweight files/objects,
stem compression of filenames, etc., are all aimed at making this more feasible
for folks like you to use us as a bottom layer.  We would be more than happy to
do work on the FS to accomodate your needs for this.

That said, don't underestimate the scope of the task, it is a big one, and it is
hard for me to promise specific features you will need on a short term basis, I
can only say that what you want is in the scope of our long-term vision.  I can
also say that we welcome all good patches.

Sound good?

Best,

Hans

--