[Zope-dev] local/set

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 14:01:15 -0500 (EST)

Anthony Baxter writes:
>Given the ongoing discussions over the difficulty of learning DTML,
>the general ugliness of DTML, and the discussion over what DTML is
>actually good for, isn't adding local/set just taking us further and
>further down the path of horror?

I don't think so.  My objection with DTML isn't that you can put
conditionals into it, but that so many tasks require that you know
something about the fiddly details of namespace implementation.
_.namespace() was ugly, and dtml-let fixed it; the REQUEST=REQUEST,
RESPONSE=RESPONSE common in many ExternalMethod invocations is still
ugly, and I'd love to see it go away.  (But I think that's hard.)

Well, you are the best I have, Cluracan, and to say that is to say little
indeed.
    -- Queen Titania, in SANDMAN #52: "Cluracan's Tale"