[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] using CVS for Zope object stores?

Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:02:12 +1100

>>> "Stuart 'Zen' Bishop" wrote
> 	    Point in time rollback
> 	    Possible to add hooks to allow viewing of previous revisions
> 	    of documents into Zope, perfect for Document Management
> 	    products.
> 	    Not only undo, but in theory it would be possible to support
> 	    branching and merging if Zope became intelligent enough
> 	    (loosly distributed databases anyone?)

A thought I've had is that you could get a 'point in time' view with the
current FileStorage by simply stopping reading after X bytes - since the
file is just appended to, this will show the ZODB as it was at that state.

From the UML models, tho, the FileStorage doesn't write down a timestamp
with each transaction - ah, but Mr SourceCode says that the transaction
ID is a timestamp. Exceeellent.

Sure, you'd want to make it a readonly view, but it could still allow some
recovery for when someone's made a godawful screwup.

Anthony