[Zope-dev] ZCatalog 'url' bug??

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamars@ibm.net
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:35:04 +0200

David Kankiewicz wrote:

> create something that is CatalogAware, than have it index itself
> "index_object" (when being created, inside a factory I think?), now
> clear your catalog and use "Find Items to ZCatalog" to index the same
> object. Lastly try to delete the object, Zope complains can't uncatalog
> the object and it won't delete it.

This is in part because of unindex's EXTREMELY annoying behavior when you
call it on uncataloged objects.

Unindex should simply *return* an error message if its called when the the
object is already uncataloged - raising an error is very annoying in a lot
of cases.  It  makes a lot more sense, too - at the end of the unidex I
want  the object to be removed form the catalog.  Since it alreasy isn't in
the catalog, unindex should just do nothing, not raise an exception!

This sould solve lots of problems I've had (I always change
manage_beforeDelete in CatalogAware to do "try: self.unindex" to work around
this), and for a lot of other people too.

--
Itamar S.T.  itamars@ibm.net